Sunday, June 24, 2012

Read in 2012: Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick


SYNOPSIS: 
There are stories where the girl gets her prince, and they live happily ever after. (This is not one of those stories.)

Jenna Lord’s first sixteen years were not exactly a fairytale. Her father is a controlling psycho and her mother is a drunk. She used to count on her older brother—until he shipped off to Afghanistan. And then, of course, there was the time she almost died in a fire. 

There are stories where the monster gets the girl, and we all shed tears for his innocent victim. (This is not one of those stories either.)

Mitch Anderson is many things: A dedicated teacher and coach. A caring husband. A man with a certain... magnetism. 

And there are stories where it’s hard to be sure who’s a prince and who’s a monster, who is a victim and who should live happily ever after. (These are the most interesting stories of all.)

Drowning Instinct is a novel of pain, deception, desperation, and love against the odds—and the rules.



MY THOUGHTS:

This book was all kinds of intense!! It gripped me in its clutches and just wouldn't let go!! 


I know that a student, teacher relationship is wrong. I know that the older man, 16 year old girl relationship is wrong. But in the context of this story where two characters are broken, and yes, I do think that Mr Anderson is broken, even if to a different degree to Jenna, I find my heart happy that they each have someone to show them that they are loved and cared for even while my head knows it shouldn't be happening!! We all have that need. The desire to feel and know that someone is there who loves us and cares about us. Especially at our lowest points!


Yes, there were things that happened in the book that made me go 'WHAT?' The main one that comes to mind is a trip that Jenna's parents take, but looking back, these are the two most self centred people ever, so I kinda get it!! But anyway, I could overlook those things because this book is so awesome!! Yeah, I know I sound vague, but I don't want to spoil things for you!!


Drowning Instinct is written fantastically, it's gripping, it's suspenseful, it makes you think!! And here I am, some 24 hours after finishing it and it's still churning around in my tummy and my head!! Read it!! You'll love it!!


5/5


Goodreads l Amazon l Barnes & Noble


2 comments:

  1. I'd been thinking of getting this one ever since reading Ashes. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read anything by this author before, but I will definitely be reading more!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...