Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Snow, Blood, and Envy by Jean Haus


SYNOPSIS:
With aspirations of being an animator, sixteen-year-old Nivi Nash thought she knew all about fairy tales. Take one beautiful damsel in distress, add a charming hero, and don’t forget a cackling villain. Throw in some pretty colors, a few songs, and mix well. 

But when caught in a real one, she learns the hero—though still hot—isn’t always charming, the story far from pretty, and the villain absolute evil. On the run for her life in a stolen SUV, she isn’t worried about her beauty, but happily ever after? Yes, she wants that the most. It means she’ll live. 

The kiss always at the end of these tales? Most of the time, okay maybe half of the time, the thought of that lip lock is far, far away where these stories are supposed to be. But tied to a stake on the side of a snowy mountain, the thought of her not-so-charming hero’s kiss burns away the reality of the knife hovering above her skin.



REVIEW: 

I first discovered the writing of Jean Haus when I downloaded her free short story Sleeping Handsome, and was immediately in love with her writing style. I quickly added the rest of her books to my Goodreads TBR list. How incredibly lucky was I, when the author contacted me and asked me if I would like to add those books to my review list!! Unfortunately it's only now that I have managed to get to Snow, Blood, and Envy!! And all I can say is WOW!!!


This is a retelling of Snow White with lots of modern twists and turns. There are no castles, but a high rise apartment building. There are no seven dwarves, but we do have the butthead brothers. Our Prince charming Jai, doesn't ride along on horseback, but he does ride in from Chinatown on his motorbike!!


Nivi moves in with her dad and her new stepmother Mali following the death of her mum. It isn't long before Nivi realises that someone is after her. Enter Jai. And the action begins!!


This is a book that every time I was forced to put it down I seriously couldn't wait for the time when I could get back to it!! It was so full of action that I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I couldn't read it fast enough!! We have betrayal, love, action, murder and suspense. Throw in some kick ass fighting scenes and even an Asian gang!! The characters are all awesome, whether they are the one's you love or the ones you hate. The writing is fantastic and everything is incredibly well paced.


So would I recommend Snow, Blood, and Envy? You betcha!! This is one fantastic read!!! 


5 Super Awesome Stars!!!


Goodreads l Amazon l Barnes & Noble




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...