Friday, September 14, 2012

REVIEW: The Truth about Lilly Barnes by Kimberly Russell



“Today is the day it is going to happen. I’m not melancholy or nervous. I just want to get it over with more than anything. Today is the day that I, Lilly Barnes, die.” 

Lilly Barnes doesn't want to live anymore. She is prepared to leave her life, family, and more importantly, her best friend Buddy behind for good. But, why? What could be so horrible that it makes a young girl want to end her life? Find out in The Truth about Lilly Barnes.

My Thoughts:
As a reader I get so swept up in a story and it's characters. I swoon over the gorgeous guys, I adore all the sweet romance, I love all the strong and sassy female leads and I love to hate all the bad guys. I ride each and every emotion that a book manages to make me feel. So I can only imagine the depth of emotions that must be felt by an author who writes something as emotional as The Truth About Lilly Barnes.

Lilly Barnes has no desire to live. She has been keeping a secret and it's eating her up inside. She can see no way that she will ever live a fulfilled and happy life. Not even her friendship with her best friend Buddy is enough to sway her. So she plans to end her life. She has everything worked out and in her mind it's fairly foolproof. She is so comfortable and at peace with the decision that she's made. There is almost a calmness about her as she says goodbye to the things she will miss.

“I think of all the things I will miss. I think about coffee, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, Little Women, and Channing Tatum. Oh, how I will miss Channing Tatum.”

It took me quite some time to work out what Lily was dealing with in her life. And when I did it was like a punch to my stomach. I've never read a book that dealt with this before. I've never experienced the things that Lilly has but these things happen in the world that we live in.

The Truth about Lilly Barnes is told from Lilly's point of view, but every now and then we get a chapter told in her best friend Buddy's voice. Aside from showing us what a wonderful person he is and what an amazing family he has, it gives us a glimpse into the other side of suicide and the feelings that those that will be left behind deal with.

This book is powerful, deep and heartbreaking!! But it's also a story filled with hope, friendship and love. If just one person reads this book and comes to the realization that there is hope, that they are not alone and that things can get better, then that would be an amazing thing!! A huge kudo's to Kimberly Russell for delving into such a tough subject matter. A truly amazing book!!!

5 Amazing Stars!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...