Sunday, September 22, 2013

GUEST REVIEW: The Paladins DuBois by Patricia Donaruma Williford


Eighteen years after the infants Kai and Mahri DuBois were separated and taken from La Foret de Chenes for their own protection, they are called to return. Appointed as Paladins, they receive their first charges from the Elders. The twins must overcome the devastating act of treachery that tore their family apart, restore the integrity of the treasure they guard, and beat back the encroaching evil of La Famille DeMauvaise.


Review:  
The beginning of the book confused me a little bit. First reading about the twins and then it went on to the sisters. I could understand about wanting to bring the sisters characters to light, but it kind of threw me for a loop since I wanted to learn why they had been chosen for the care taker position.
Finding out Melisandra’s betrayal that brought everything to a halting standstill in the forest was devastating. It made me want to learn more. Like Kai and Marhi I wanted to know more. The questions were flowing. I read on to have them answered.
At first Kai is bashfully shy, but as the story goes on you see him grow into his own.
Marhi reminds me of a bill ball of energy. She is always flittering around and curious. She pelt’s out words a million miles a minute.
When Kai and Melisandra went into the forest to talk I would have liked to have known what was said. 
I thought that Nelson and Anita were well written characters. I just wanted to reach into the book and give each of them a good thump upside the head.
The banter between Lisa and Shaun was adorable. They were the perfect couple reunited. Even though times changed, their love for each other was intact.
DeMauvaise is a sadistic man. What he does to get slaves is sadistic. 
You really get a sense of family in this book. Through good and bad times they are all there for each other. They exude love for each other on so many levels.
I like curly hair just about as much as the next person. But there was an abundance of pushing a curl off the forehead or out of the eyes. It was as if this was one of the ways that the author could only explain a touch moment or affection. 
Dealing with the DeMauvise family was interesting. But it was how the DuBois family came together and worked with each other that had me enthralled. 
Each character was truly unique. Scotsman, Irishman, Frenchman all were alike and brought all together was a whirlwind of personality. Each characters personality was a treasure to behold. 
One thing I especially liked about this book was the sense of love, and family. There were quite a few times I found myself wiping a tear away, whether it was a joy, sadness or just because.
Forgiveness, restoration, and peace. These words held a lot of deep meaning for this story.
4/5 Stars.

Reviewed by Colleen for YA Book Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...