Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY #38: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because she thought he’d understand since he died young just like her sister, May, did. Soon Laurel is writing letters to lots of dead people—Janis Joplin, Amy Winhouse, Ameilia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more—although she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about what it’s like going to a new school, meeting new friends, falling in love for the first time, how her family splinters apart after May dies. She even writes about the abuse she suffered—while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May, and to see her as the person she was: lovely and amazing and deeply flawed.

Trained as a poet at the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, Ava Dellaira brings a lyrical, haunting beauty to her prose.

Expected publication: April 1st 2014


As soon as I saw Kurt Cobain mentioned I knew this was going on my TBR list. It also sounds a bit dark, which I love. 
What book are you patiently waiting for the release of?

10 comments:

  1. I'm dying for this one too! I saw a picture of the ARC on Macmillan's Instagram, and immediately made grabby hands.. :)

    Jess @ bookrookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love lyrical prose that's why I like Maggie Stiefvater's books so much. Thanks for sharing! It really looks like a great book.

    Here’s my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh interesting! Haven't heard of this one!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this around, and although I think the story sound interesting, I doubt I could really get in feel with this book. But great pick! =)
    My WoW, and there's also a giveaway running on my blog to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one has been on my list for quite some time. What a great pick and the cover is just awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    my WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-what-i-thought-was-true/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this one around and I already have it on my to-read list. Great pick. I hope you enjoy reading it.
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read any prose books and have never had much desire to but this one sounds really interesting so I might have to give it a go.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that cover! This book is new to me but it sounds great.

    Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I've seen this one a few times today. I think it sounds really great, and I plan on picking it up when it comes out. April is just so far away >___<

    Great pick!
    Chelsea @ Books Turn Brains
    Here's my WoW
    I'm also giving away a copy of Perfect Ruin over on my blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds SO good! I haven't heard of it yet. Great share. Happy reading.
    Waiting on Weds @Libby Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...