Wednesday, November 20, 2013

REVIEW: Play With Me (Grover Beach Team #1) by Piper Shelly

This is a short, sweet novella.

Ryan Hunter's parties are legend. And tonight she's going to be there.

Liza Matthews anticipates the return of her best friend and only love since kindergarten from soccer camp. But when Tony finally shows up, his mind is more focused on another girl. And worse, she's a soccer player. Fighting for the attention Liza craves, she's just a hairbreadth away from making a very stupid decision. But when extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, she's prepared to play ball to get her man.

The tryouts are hell, the first match ends bloody, and the morning after the selection party she wakes up in the worst place possible—in the arms of the captain of the soccer team. The hottest guy in school. Ryan Hunter.


 


My Thoughts:

It was all too easy to fall for him. Not only because he looked illegally good in a white shirt, or because of his amazing smell. It was the attention he gave me that made me feel good around him. Special. Desired, even.
And for the weirdest moment, I wanted him to desire me.

I fell in love with Piper Shelly's ability to tell a story in her amazing book, Loving Your Lies, yet the sweet factor of Play With Me took it to a whole new level. This book was a perfectly cute Young Adult read and I only wish that it had been longer.

Liza and Tony have been best friends forever, but Liza's feelings go so much deeper than that. She loves him. And she's hoping to make that clear to Tony when he comes back from Soccer camp. But Tony has eyes for someone else. And she plays soccer. So Liza decides to show Tony that whatever Cloey can do, she can do too. What Liza doesn't expect is her attraction to the captain of the team Ryan Hunter.

When we first meet Tony I was so smitten with him and I desperately wanted him to love Liza the way that she loved him. I begged him to feel it. I would have given anything for it, because I love nothing more than friends who fall in love. But that was until Ryan entered the picture and my love for him far surpassed my love for Tony. His sweet, caring protective nature had me from the word go. Throw in his flirty, cheeky side and I was a complete gonna.

I loved Liza's voice. She was just so quick and witty. In fact all the main characters were really likeable and fun. I loved the level of comfort between Tony and Liza. And while their friendship gets put to the test, I didn't ever doubt that they would get through it. Yes there is a little bit of tension, angst and drama, but it never weighed the story down with any heaviness. Liza and Ryan were so good together. Their banter really played off each other and it was so much fun to read.

Oh dear lord, I have to mention that first kiss!! Had hubby been home, I think I would have gotten out the tequila and lemons for a reenactment!! Perfectly hot, perfectly sweet, perfectly swoony. Oh yes, Ryan Hunter made me swoon. On many occasions!! 

I loved that this book had little bits of soccer sprinkled through it. I eat soccer for breakfast. I don't play, but I'm the girl that's at every game singing all the chants and doing everything to encourage my team to play hard and with passion.

If quick, light and fun is your thing, then you should grab this one. Although I think everyone really needs to read Play With Me. A perfect way to spend a few hours of your day. It will without a doubt make you smile.

4/5 Ryan Hunter Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...